I’ve always been fascinated by the concept of having a bucket list, but never sat down and actually thought about what would be on mine. If I’m sticking to the theme of this blog and staying totally honest with myself, I’d have to say its because that good ol fear of failure. Deep down I was just too worried that I wouldn’t accomplish them. But recently I’ve been reading up on bucket lists a lot and getting some pretty good insight!
One reoccuring purpose I see is that the bucket list almost seems to be a subconscious motivator to keep you honest about accomplishing your goals. Think of it as a reward system. Once you accomplish a goal, you get to knock something off that list. This seems to be the “why” that resonates with me the most. So again, to stick with this theme of the blog of stepping further out into this world and experiencing more (this blog is going to have a lot of different themes..try and keep up), Ive decided to start my very own! But before I share some of my list, here are some tips I’ve found from people who are already successfully checking adventures off their lists.
- WRITE IT DOWN. Hard copy. Pen and paper and keep it somewhere that you’ll see it from time to time.
- Target different areas of your life. Travel is the easy one, but also think about skills, people and maybe even career oriented.
- Be vocal about it and learn from other peoples bucket list. You’d be surprised how good of a conversation topic this is.
- Make some easier to achieve than others. Checking off a few smaller ones will help keep you motivated for the big ones.
- Try to set deadlines for some. Stop procrastinating and just do it.
- Post it publicly. Any good friends will remind you and keep you accountable, and maybe join in, making the experience that much more meaningful.
- Be willing to make changes. Sometimes your interests change. And definitely don’t shy from adding more to the list, especially if your successfully checking items off!
Now for the start of mine. Im gonna give a much shorter version of my list to hopefully help out with anyone who doesn’t have any ideas yet, and expand upon mine in my journal! Here we go!!
Tony’s Bucket List!
- Hike the Appalachian Trail. Roughly 2,200 miles long, and takes on average 5-7 months to be completed!
- Learn to play the guitar. Chicks dig it.
- Attend at the very least one Incubus concert. That band just gets me.
- See a Duke Game at Cameron Indoor stadium! Preferably while Coach K is still there.
- Date night under the Eiffel Tower. Cheesy, but I’m a closet romantic. No shame.
- Learn Brazilian JuJitsu.
- Hike the Inca Trail to Machu Piccu. (Pictured above) Doest there really need to be an explanation?
- Get a tattoo.
- Spend time volunteering for my favorite charity. Currently charitywater.org
So there it is. Thats the beginning of my Bucket List! Wish me luck! Now go get started on your own or get to checking some stuff off if you’ve already got one! Cheers!